Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Mother Challenges

If you have boys, I recommend reading Boys Should Be Boys: 7 Secrets to Raising Healthy Sons by Meg Meeker, M.D. It's a great book to just helping you understand that boys will be boys, and it's okay. She points out a lot of common sense, but sometimes pointing it out helps us realize some of the things that we need to pay attention to.

So, Meg Meeker, MD has a website ... she has these Mom Challenges. Granted, we all have obstacles everyday. Moms do have a lot on their plates. There are days where I'm just running around like a chicken with its head cut off... frantic on how to get things done before I go to bed! I hope I'm not the only one that feels that way! I also think S helps by calming me down, asking me how he can help me, and even just say, "what are the priorities for tonight?" He's the calm one in all this.

These challenges that Meg Meeker, MD posts, I'm going to try and do them. Feel free to join me if you'd like! Let me know if you do!

Meg Meeker, MD's first challenge is Happy Mother Challenge.


Make a list. Yes, a list. But be serious about it. I know you have a list in your head about everything that you don’t do right. It’s a long list of every little failure and moment that you think you really messed up this Mom “job.”
I want you to make an actual, physical list of things that you are really GOOD at and what you LIKE about yourself, just as you are. Write down what you are, what you like, what you dream about, what makes you happy, what you’re good at, etc. A Happy List. A Positive List. Now, take that list and put it in your wallet. Take it out when you’re having a tough day and read through it when those negative thoughts embed themselves in your mind. Remember that you have value and you are good. Just as you are.
If you do not know about me, I'm quite a negative person.. which is why I started Happy Fridays, to remind myself that my week was pretty good. If something bad/negative happened... forget about it! Think of the happy moments!

I have my list of the negative thing that I have felt, thought, and done as my Mom "job" in my head. ...

But to write down the good... this is going to be tough.
1. I'm good at sewing.
2. I enjoy baking muffins from scratch for my family every Saturday or Sunday morning.
3. I love seeing a smile on my boys' face when I pick them up at daycare.
4. I love watching D paint, play with his car, trains, etc.
5. I love watching C play at the play kitchen, his joyful laugh when he runs away from us after taking off his clothes and diaper so we can change him (he loves to be naked).
6. I love seeing my boys enjoy the foods that I make
7. I love snuggling with my boys, even if it's so they D can stay up 10 extra minutes
8. I love my husband, who helps me around the house.
9. I love my husband, who supports me in everything that I do.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...