Friday, January 6, 2012

Quilts of Valor

I think I found my project for January and February (one of my 12 goals for 2012 - start & complete a project a month). This may take longer than a month, that's why I am going do it for 2 months for this.

This is the goal -- I received this e-mail today from one of the shops that I enjoy buying fabrics from:

Many Quilters have asked about this cause. Robin Reich, one of our students and friend of Harper’s, is heading up this effort for those coming home from their assignments in the military based in Fort Riley, KS. Harper’s and our staff want to help in this effort and ask you to donate in any way you can. Harper’s will also have sewing space and time for anyone’s effort. Just call and schedule our classroom.


The following is information on how to help and let us know if you can help.


By March 1, 2012 we need a total of 400 quilts with presentation pillow cases for the wounded from Fort Riley, Kansas. I am trying to help coordinate this effort with some of the Kansas coordinators.


Quilts need to be 100% cotton quality fabric
Size of quilt: Width 55” min. to 72” max; Length 65” min. to 90” max.


Batting: Low-loft quality batting. (Cotton, 80/20, or poly from Pellon, Warm Company; Quilter's Dream; Hobbs)


Label: Put on a label with quilters name; quilt name; piecers name if different from quilters name. You can also include a note with your wishes for the soldier who receives it. I usually put little note about the quilt, and my name and address.


Presentation case: You can make a case out of coordinating fabric or other fabric. It should be a standard size pillowcase.


You do NOT have to use red/white/blue fabrics. The fabrics are your choice, just use quality fabrics.

Thank you so much for your help in this great project.


Robin Reich
QOV coordinator for Missouri
If you have any questions, please call.

I think this is great! The people in the military sacrifice so much for my family and myself. This is the least I could do.

After the birthday party this weekend, I'm going to go shopping for fabrics!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...